Before all of the HIREconf fun begins in October, we wanted to shine a spotlight on some of the amazing speakers and sessions that will be gracing the stage.
While most companies embrace the idea of diversity recruiting, they do not have a roadmap to help them get started, measure their progress or drive an industry-leading diversity recruiting program.
In light of this challenge, what does one do?
Jackye Clayton (HiringSolved), Katee Van Horn (Bar the Door Consulting), Stan Kimer (Total Engagement Consulting), Joe Gerstandt (speaker, author, advisor and overall D&I expert) and Julie Sowash (Disability Solution) brought their expertise together to create a Diversity Recruiting Maturity Model to help guide these programs.
We got in touch with the experts to talk to them a little bit about their session and to get some answers to some of the basic questions when it comes to Diversity and Inclusion programs.
Where do companies and leaders go wrong when it comes to diversity?
- Not knowing where to start and fearing failure which leads to not taking the action that needs to be taken
- Not defining what diversity means for their team and what dimensions of diversity needs to be thought about. Creating a common language and foundational clarity should be a priority so that all leaders involved know exactly what they’re doing.
- Not including everybody. Too often these initiatives are left to HR when really it’s a program that every employee should play a part in.
- Not developing a thorough strategy with measurable goals.
How can a company know if they’re doing the right thing when it comes to implementing diversity-focused initiatives?
- Benchmarks and goals! Just like it was mentioned above you need to set goals that your company can strive for. Without measurements, nothing will get done. Be sure to create a wide variety including incremental and stretch goals.
- Noticing increased representation in leadership and in candidates. By creating a diverse space, you should be able to see the results.
What prompted you to share this session at HIREconf?
- Diversity and Inclusion isn’t a trend or a fad. Creating a diverse company creates a company that reflects and promotes the beautiful diversity that our world contains.
- Getting started is overwhelming. Hopefully, this session will help to take some of the intimidation away so there is nothing standing in the way of companies getting started.
What are you hoping that attendees get out of the Diversity Maturity Model?
- A clear and honest view of where they are on the journey.
- A starting point and a practice set of tools to get started or to continue on the journey.
- An understanding of the role that Diversity & Inclusion play in successful recruiting.
- A commitment to taking action in their company.
Tell us a little bit about the people who were involved in this project and what made you pick them to be a part of the committee/task force.
The people on the task force were chosen because of their breadth of diversity knowledge as well and their understanding of current challenges companies are facing now. Everyone here focuses on various types of diverse candidates but has the same goal of making sure that no group is overlooked for opportunities.